Hello there! I’m Samantha. By day I’m a technical writer; I write how-to articles and manuals for people learning new technologies. The rest of the time I’m a speculative fiction writer, YA book enthusiast, musichead, and major foodie. (Chocolate cake anyone?)
A little bit about me
My favorite words are…
Arugula (because it’s fun to say) and raze (because it’s hands down the most badass way to say destroy).
My favorite books are…
- The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger – such beautiful writing, and a great time traveling story.
- The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling – I had the pleasure of growing up with the Harry Potter books. They gave me a love for reading, which ultimately turned into a love for writing. I can truly say I wouldn’t be the person I am today without them.
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – Simple prose, brave characters, folklore—this story has got it all!
- Shiver by Maggie Steifvater – I love Maggie’s imagination, and her characters are some of the most memorable I’ve read in the YA Fantasy genre. Shiver was the first of her books that I read and it stuck with me. It’s much slower than a lot of YA novels, but that’s simply because it’s a character driven novel, which I think is a nice breath of fresh air from the plot driven novels overflowing out of the Fantasy genre these days.
All of these books made an impression on me in some way or another, and to this day influence my own writing. The characters are still with me; they walk beside me like old friends.
I’m writing a novel.
It’s a YA urban fantasy novel. No, it’s not about vampires. But… it’s got magic and supernatural abilities and two badass characters who will stop at nothing to get what they want!
Stay tuned in to my monthly SamWrites updates for an inside look at my writing process and some sneak peaks at my working draft.
I’m addicted to coffee.
Doctors might claim I have a chemical dependency on caffeine, but I think that’s a little harsh. Can’t a lady have a cup or four of joe every morning without the judgement?
I love me some whiskey.
Nothing melts away a tough day like a rye Manhattan. Just sayin…
In my spare time I…
- Binge-watch Stranger Things on Netflix.
- Watch cat videos on the internet.
- Talk to my house plants.
- Read. A lot. (See some of my recommendations)
- Rock out at concerts.
About my blog
This blog is a passion project of mine. It’s a mixed bag of things, really. The main purpose that strings it all together is this: I want to help and inspire others by sharing my passions, my knowledge, and my experience as a writer.
So, if you’re looking for writing advice, lessons on writing books for young adults, book recommendations and reviews, or even the occasional music playlist, then this is the place for you!
If you’re new to my blog, I recommend the following posts to get you started: